Say boo to the flu

Say boo to the flu

By Czerne M. Reid

The UF Student Health Care Center is hosting a mass flu vaccination event on its front lawn. UF student Raquelle Newman recieved her flu shot from Lily Hummer, R.N., and was among the 500 students who stopped for a free flu shot.

Flu season starts in October, and the UF Student Health Care Center is already in gear, arming students, faculty and staff against the virus. More than 500 people received flu shots during a mass vaccination event on the center’s front lawn Sept. 20. Junior Raquelle Newman rolled up her sleeves for a shot administered by nurse Lily Hummer, R.N. Ever since a severe case of the flu landed the health education and behavior major in bed for four days during her freshman year, she hasn’t hesitated to get an annual flu shot. “I’m trusting in its ability to protect me, and I’m not going to be as worried come flu season that I will get the flu again,” Newman said. “I had to learn the hard way, I suppose.” The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends everyone 6 months and older receive a flu shot each year. Not only does the shot protect people from becoming sick, it prevents them from infecting others. The vaccination is particularly important for health care workers, who can spread illness to their patients. Vaccination will continue across campus for the next several weeks at the Founders Gallery, the Shands at UF Atrium and the Reitz Union. Free flu shots will be offered to all UF employees Oct. 23 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium during the UF Employee Benefits Fair. Shands employees are also eligible for yearly flu shots. Visit Shands Occupational Health Services at Shands at UF (north campus) Room 1004 for more information.