The UF Research Foundation has named its UFRF Professors for 2017-2020. This recognition goes to faculty who have a distinguished current record of research and a strong research agenda that is likely to lead to continuing distinction in their fields.
The UFRF Professors were recommended by their college deans based on nominations from their department chairs, a personal statement and an evaluation of their recent research accomplishments as evidenced by publications in scholarly journals, external funding, honors and awards, development of intellectual property and other measures appropriate to their field of expertise. In some colleges, the selection process is conducted by a special faculty committee.
The three-year award includes a $5,000 annual salary supplement and a one-time $3,000 grant. The professorships are funded from the university’s share of royalty and licensing income on UF-generated products.
Here are this year’s UFRF Professors in health-related colleges:
• UF College of Dentistry: L. Jeannine Brady, Ph.D., a professor of oral biology.
• UF College of Medicine: Barry J. Byrne, M.D., Ph.D., a professor of pediatrics; Desmond A. Schatz, M.D., a professor of pediatrics; Michael J. Haller, M.D., MS-CI, a professor of pediatrics; Stephanie M. Karst, an associate professor of molecular genetics and microbiology; Suming Huang, Ph.D., an associate professor of biochemistry and molecular biology.
• UF College of Medicine – Jacksonville: Dominick Angiolillo, M.D., Ph.D., FACC, a professor of cardiology.
• UF College of Nursing: Ann L. Horgas, Ph.D., R.N., FAAN, an associate professor of biobehavioral nursing science.
• UF College of Pharmacy: Almut Winterstein, Ph.D., a professor of pharmaceutical outcomes and policy.
• UF College of Public Health and Health Professions: Ira M. Longini, Ph.D., a professor of biostatistics.
• UF College of Veterinary Medicine: Julie K. Levy, Ph.D., D.V.M., a professor of small animal clinical sciences.