Moving Mountains

All Andy needed was a chance, and a miracle.

By: Bill Levesque
dropcap
“Andy, Mommy’s with you, I will not leave you. Even if you don’t feel me, if you don’t hear me, I am here with you.”
— Karen Herrera
arriving
“Andy was one of the most critically ill kids we’d ever seen.”
— Mark Bleiweis, M.D.

Don't Leave Me

andy and dad

Fundraising

celebrity Former baseball star David “Big Papi” Ortiz takes to Twitter to help Andy’s family raise money for his heart surgery. Andy Herrera on Instagram

Isolation

ECMO specialist Donnie Harrington plays a special song for Andy.
joseph
“Seeing what we were dealing with at the time, there was a part of me wondering what we had gotten ourselves into.”
— Joseph Philip, M.D.

Tenacious infection

Tricycle joy

andy, tricycle Andy rides the big red tricycle as part of his rehabilitation before his surgery.

A marathon

“When God sends you a signal, he doesn’t always tell you how he is going to send it.”
— Sandy Herrera
Andy, trophy Andy gets a trophy on the one-year anniversary of his being put on ECMO.

A second heart

Andy, mom, surgery, Andy’s mom, Karen Reyes, speaks to her son right before he is taken into surgery for his transplant.

Birthday song

Saying goodbye

Andy, UF Health, Care, Team, Leaving, Hospital Andy and part of his UF Health care team.

‘True miracle’

Andy, Ecmo, leaving Mark Bleiweis, M.D., who Andy's father called "an angel from God," says goodbye to Andy before the youngster is discharged.
family portrait

To name a few